When people ask "how do you get enough protein?" .... I now want to show them this recipe.
Did you know that spinach, brown rice, and especially chickpeas are packed with protein???
This recipe I found on Pinterest includes:
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic (or if you cook like me - as much as you flipping want, honey!)
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt (I left this out because there's enough flavor in this IMO)
- Ground pepper (just a smidge to taste)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (I might have added a little more than that but that's how I roll)
- 1.5 tsp dried rosemary
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup artichokes in brine, drained and chopped (I just got a can of artichoke hearts at Trader Joe's and cut those babies up)
- 6 cups of chopped spinach
- 3 cups cooked chick peas (I just realized I only used 1 can for mine and it was totally fine, this calls for two); drain and rinse of course
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (see my explanation for garlic)
- 2 tbsp freshy squeezed lemon juice (and then throw those peels in your garbage disposal to keep her smelling freshhhhh!)
- Parmesan cheese (I skipped this part - but I hear TJ's has a great Vegan version that I'll have to try next time)
- 1/2 Mayo (I have a great Vegan one from TJ's that I used)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or parsley (I went with parsley)
- 1 additional garlic clove (you'll see why below)
- 1 additional tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (just waaaait)
And here are your instructions:
- Cook your rice (I did 1.25 cups)
- While those beauts are cooking (I would maybe wait til your rice is almost done actually), get out a skillet, throw some olive oil in it and warm it over medium'ish heat.
- Throw in your onion, garlic, and salt (if you choose).... and brown up them onions
- Add all of your spices (besides the basil/parsley), artichokes, spinach, chick peas, balsamic, and lemon juice.
- Add in your brown rice once it's done cooking
- Preheat the oven to 350, and put all of the ingredients into a greased 9x13 dish (top with cheese if you would like)
- Bake for 20 minutes
Time for the aioli - my fav!!!
- Throw your 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup basil/parsley (I honestly probably used more like 1/4 cup), 1 garlic clove, and 1 tbsp lemon juice in a bowl to drizzle over later
Here's the finished meal!
First bite - I honestly wasn't so sure ... but then BAM! I became obsessed! This is so delicious, and now I'm set for lunches this week at work!